Thursday, July 12, 2007

Asynchronous Communication--do Online Social Networks replace email?

Such software as Facebook and MySpace are the asynchronous communication of a new era, becoming used more than email by teens.

However, for me, emails are far more satisfying--more in-depth. In my experience with my Facebook account, an advantage is the multi-person asynchronous private conversation. I believe in-depth conversations should be put online only within private access conversations. However even these are quite brief. I am hesitant about revealing too much detail in an online social network conversation. I have not filled in most of the identifying information on my Facebook profile. I have put up a picture, but am hesitating about keeping it there.

When I have time, I enjoy surfing on Facebook, to see who is connected to whom in the network, and taking a peek at other people’s lives. I can see the neat opportunities for making connections with people. I think the breadth is there for networking, but the depth (in conversations) is not, nor should it be.


1 comment:

Qingyi said...

I think I have the same experience that I more like email than those social network sites. I am not sure whether I am old fashion or not, but one thing I am certain is that I only choose the tool that I feel the most comfortable with.